Sunday, April 3, 2011

Power Steering Bracket

I placed an ad on Craigslist.org earlier this week for a 1965-66 power steering bracket for a 289/302 and even included a picture of the bracket for clarification. I got a response that very same night from a guy in Indio that said he had the bracket and that I could have it for free if I drove down to pick it up. I asked for pictures and he never sent them to me. Knowing that the bracket sells used for about $200 I just drove down there to pick it up blindly. As it turns out, this bracket was out of 1970 Mustang/Cougar. I cleaned the part up and painted it anyways since I think I've found a way to make it work. 

Un-modified, un-painted bracket

Looking at the image below, you can see the left portion of the bracket that has an additional hole drilled to accommodate the difference between water pumps. I had to use a spacer to make up for the gap from the face of the water pump and the back of the bracket.

Cleaned and modified Bracket

Below is the bracket after it was painted. I didn't mount it in the car today because the paint I used was taking a long time to cure. I'll try to install it the next time I'm over.


Painted Bracket

I mounted the throttle return springs that my dad bought a few days go. You'll notice that there are two springs mounted (a spring inside a spring.) My dad said that cars used to have a main spring and a backup spring inside the main spring. The springs were mounted to a return spring linkage that my dad also bought the other day.

New Throttle Return Springs

Looking through the radiator support, the newly installed aluminum water pump pops nicely from the Ford blue motor and harmonic balancer. I had to search through tray after tray of bolts to find some that would work. My dad had to take a larger bolt, grind it down and re-thread it to use as the power steering pump mount bolt that goes into the block. The alternator mounts on the left and the power steering pump mounts on the right.



I wanted to include the bottom picture of the motor showing it from the passenger side looking down because I liked it. I should have the alternator sometime in the next couple of weeks which I'll install around the same time as I install the power steering pump.
Motor with Brackets Mounted

No comments:

Post a Comment