Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Brighter Headlights

Following the directions of both Mustang Steve and James W. I ran power directly from the battery side of the starter solenoid and hooked it up to a relay that will give direct power to my headlights once triggered by the headlight switch. When I looked at the numbers on the relay, they didn't correspond with the colors listed on Mustang Steve's diagram (i.e. his diagram shows two red wires per harness and mine only had one.) I made sure to match up the numbers on the relay with the correct color wires. We'll know more once the car has a battery in it that will allow us to test it. The green-black wire from the firewall is for the high beams and the red-black wire is for the low beams. You can see where I spliced into the harness below:


Mustang Headlight Wires

I made sure to run 12 gauge wire from the relay to both headlights for safety. Based on my limited availability of wire colors, I used plain red for the low beams (red-black) and blue for the high beams (green-black.) I tried to run the replacement wires through the loom to keep everything as neat as possible. Once I laid out all of the new wire, I was able to hook it up to my new headlight harnesses that I purchased on Amazon.

New Headlight Harness

Once all the wires were spliced in and taped, I wrapped them with the same loom casing that I used on the wires coming off of the firewall the other day. I spliced in the inline fuse right above the battery rather than near the relays and wire harness in order to keep it less cluttered. Instead of running the suggested 10 gauge main wire from the battery, I ran 8 gauge wire (heavier) mainly since we didn't have much 10 gauge wire laying around. The red wire you see below is the main wire from the positive solenoid post to the relays.

Relays Spliced into Existing Harness

Once I had finished with the wiring, I re-installed the overflow tank that had come with the car. I simply mounted it over the wire loom near the power steering pump.


Overflow Tank Installed

When I arrived home and checked the mail I found that I had received both the water temperature sensor with relay for the electric fans as well as the spark plug wires. The plug wires were supposed to be black but instead they sent me blue which is a bummer because it doesn't match the motor nor does it match the distributor cap so I'll have a third shade of blue under the hood. I also recently received the front/rear valances and the gas tank kit which I'll install as I begin to do the body work on the car. The last thing I'll be picking up is the radiator/electric fans tomorrow on my way home from work. Next on the list will be tires and rims and then interior.

No comments:

Post a Comment