Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Harmonic Balancer Installed


I picked up the harmonic balancer on Monday in Placentia after buying it from a guy on Ebay late last week. The paint on it wasn't horrible, but it didn't look good either so I stripped it down, cleaned off some of the grease and repainted it Ford Blue to match the motor. I also back-masked it and painted the Top Dead Center (TDC) line to make it easily visible when checking the timing with a timing gun.

1965-66 Harmonic Balancer with TDC marked


Below the balancer is the stock front sway bar that I want to replace with a heavier 1" sway bar, but that will set me back about $110 and I'd rather buy other things right now like a radiator, gas tank, shocks, tires/rims, etc, etc.

A front view of the harmonic balancer better shows the three bolt pattern that was found on t5-68 harmonic balancers. The four bolt balancer which I had previously installed on my car has the correct 28oz imbalance, but is set up for a pulley system for a later model 302. Most early Mustangs only came equipped with 289's. 

3-bolt pattern 1965-66 28oz Harmonic Balancer


After I cleaned, painted and installed the balancer, I decided to use the wiring diagrams/schematics from my previous blog to work on the wiring for the starter and charging system. The white wire on the far left attaches to a yellow/white wire on the alternator. The black wire next to it is mounted on the starter and the red wire on the far right of the solenoid is also mounted on the starter. I know the wires look like a mess right now, but I'm not going to even start to try and clean them up until all the wires are where they belong.

Starer Solenoid Wires


You can see where the wires that are hooked up to the solenoid are coming from. There are still quite a few wires to hook up before I'm done. Once they are all routed to the position they belong, I will wrap them in electrical tape and then enclose them in a plastic loom and neatly mount them to the engine compartment wall. I still need to buy spark plug wires...

Motor with Wiring

1 comment:

  1. Thank You for sharing! My son and I are build the same car and the wiring IS A MESS! Im trying to get it back to "stock" and just use the pertronix electronic point system wit the stock dist. I will be reffering back to your blog for help!

    ReplyDelete